Friday, June 14, 2013

Week 4

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Today I finished the box!  WHen I printed the inventory sheet, it was 20 pages long.  Then, I went on to inventory a few new boxes.  Luckily, the next two were not Bunnie Hall's finds.  Rather, they were artifacts from Mesoamerica- 2 Guatemala Maya tripod plates, a Chancay urn, and a Chancay figurine.  They were very interesting, but they had also already been recently inventoried and researched.  So, they didn't take up too much time.  My next box was back to Bunnie Hall's projectile points, and my first Object I.D. was a bag of over 140 pieces of worked stone and points.  I catalogues 52 of them before I went home.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Today I did research for the upcoming archaeological exhibit.  I took a break from the pre-contact and researched a Spanish mission site, San Juan del Puerto.  I found some great articles and information about the site and its history.  I took about six pages of notes because I found such great information.  Hopefully at least some will reach every exhibit-goer next fall!

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Today I went back to inventory.  I continued with my projectile points and got a lot done.  I learned to make labels on the points with acrylic and acid free markers.  Also, I am becoming very adept at describing projectile points and their parts.  I know this is not a very aplicable skill, but at least it is one more skillset added to my museum and archaeology knowledge.  I finished the Object I.D. with about 140 pieces, and went on to do a few other I.D.'s as well.  Very productive day.

Friday, June 14, 2013

I worked today to make up for one of my missed days last week (I will be working next Friday as well).  Today, I went back to researching, but I didn't do the usual researching of the sites.  I was thinking about the exhibit, and realized that the average person going through the exhibit will not naturally understand all the terms or basics of archaeology.  With this, I made notes about the very basics about archaeology and its procedures, tools, and ethics.  Even though these terms come so naturally now, I cannot assume that every person will.  The exhibit, after all, is about archaeology of the local area, so with that, you have to educate what archaeology is.  Plus, since Northeast Floridian archaeology is not my particular interest, just sharing with people my passion for archaeology makes me excited for this exhibit.  I love to talk to people about it, but usually their eyes just glaze over.  With Public Archaeology, people can learn about what it is that I do and love.  Like I've said in weeks prior, maybe less people will ask why I like dinosaurs so much (for the record, that's Paleontology!).

No comments:

Post a Comment