Friday, June 21, 2013

Week 5

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Today I catalogued projectile points.  I have learned how to make labels using acrylic (so that the labels can be removed if needed).  I was on a roll; I inventoried a whole bunch of them.  Just as I was losing momentum, Lenny (the curator), asked me to do some research for my exhibit.  I welcomed the change of pace.  I looked up local news articles that spoke of Dr. Keith Ashley (with whom MOSH is partnering with for the upcoming archaeology exhibit).  Dr. Ashley is an archaeologist with the University of North Florida, and specializes in North Floridian prehistory.  The Florida Times Union has written quite a few pieces that feature him.  I am not quite sure how these articles may be worked into the exhibit, but it was interesting to do some research from the news/media perspective rather than just scholarly research.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Today I catalogued more Bunnie Hall, which consisted of projectile points, stone tools, some pots and other small artifacts.  The interesting thing I wanted to mention about today, though, is the stone tools.  When I looked up a few of these objects in Past Perfect, they were described as nothing but "stone, worked".  These objects did not appear special.  I noticed, though, that they are not simply discarded pieces of worked rock, but rather useful handheld tools.  If you hold them logically and just right, they were made to be held and worked by a right hand.  I know I am an archaeology nerd, but this is the kind of stuff.  Who knows the last time somebody held that piece of rock correctly?  Since Hall was no educated or seasoned archaeologist, he may not have realized their true purpose, only noticed that they were indeed worked by human hands. 

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Today, I catalogued more stone tools and projectile points.  I worked through a few boxes and actually finished my first Unit (an entire shelving unit).  I realized that I am becoming quite efficient using Past Perfect, since I was working pretty quickly through my objects.  I have also become proficient at describing projectile points using the proper vernacular.  It seems useless to most people, but in the world of archaeology, it's pretty helpful to know the vocabulary surrounding stone tools.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Today was all about researching my exhibit again.  I researched the Spanish mission site of Sarabay, located on Big Talbot Island, Dent Mound, Shields Mound, and a few other places.  I found some great articles by Keith Ashley, the archaeologist partnering with MOSH for the exhibit, so I have a lot of reading to do as I continue my research.  I also talked with Lenny (the curator) for a while about the direction and format of my research.  As time progresses, it is interesting to research her new ideas for the exhibit.  I can't wait until the exhibit is done and I can come back and see what parts of the exhibit I influenced!  I really enjoy working with Lenny (not to be a teacher's pet).  She is always upbeat, and when we get talking about archaeology and the exhibit, we always end up going on tangents about anything museum/archaeology related.  Today she showed me some plans for a future exhibit.  I don't think I can share what it is exactly, but it has to do with pirates and ships, so it is unbelievably cool!  Finally, I had my midterm evaluation today with Lenny.  Overall, I am doing very well here at MOSH so far, and I am really enjoying getting to know the museum ins and outs.  I think I am forever sold on Public Archaeology.  Even if I end up working in academia, I will always have a passion for sharing my passion with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment